Monday, August 23, 2010

More Than Words

When I started this blog, I thought I'd use it predominantly to share my interest in all things art-related. Instead, this year I've written mostly about some of the causes I find important, a better use of my limited time.

I have also blogged less than I thought I would. I love writing, love the act of putting words together in just the right way, love sharing my thoughts and ideas with the wide world (or a few of its denizens who happen across these pages.)

But as John Lennon wrote, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." Family concerns have dominated my life, so my reactions to an early spring PBS concert television taping, the new music I've been listening to, the films and television shows I've watched and the books I've read haven't been featured much on these pages. Neither have my travels with my sister, always a highlight of my year.

Life is more than words, and certainly more than the social media that dominates some people's time.

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter have their place. They can be fun and, every once in a while, they can be important.

But I'd rather talk to a person than text them. I can't imagine a few abbreviated words on a tiny screen being more important to me than the sound of a voice or, better yet, the company of those I enjoy, admire and love.

And as much as I take pride in what I write here, this blog is a pale substitute for the life I actually live.

Summer is almost over. I have a bit of time at last, so Living in Turnaround is back. Glad to see you here when you have time...

But it's a lovely day. There's a breeze blowing in the window, and I hear some birds flitting through the trees that line the hill.

Enough words.

I'm signing off and going outside, where life is.

No comments: